If you or someone you know is impacted by family violence and in need of support, contact the Medicine Hat Women’s Shelter Society. Our 24/7 helpline is 403-529-1091 or toll-free at 1-800-661-7949 and is available to provide crisis support, safety planning, and information. Intake into programming and more information is also available by calling our administrative line at 403-527-8223.
Phoenix Safe House Emergency Shelter – takes in both women and men, with or without children, fleeing from abuse. Both women and men can also do drop-in appointments with crisis workers.
Musasa Second Stage Housing – a long-term (up to one year) safe accommodation for individuals and families that provides one-to-one and group supports, and connection to community supports/resources.
Outreach Services – provides one-to-one and group supports for women, men, youth and children who have experienced or are experiencing violence in their homes.
Outreach Services are located at #5 1036 – 7th ST. SW (The Ridge).
Outreach support groups include: (Outreach group support has been put on hold due to COVID-19)
- Seeds to Success Group: A 6 week group to introduce individuals to group support and the value of groups. Work will include information on family violence, introduction to groups, and safety planning.
- Journey to Hope and Healing Group: A 9 week group for individuals who have experience family violence and are working towards healing themselves after abuse. Topics include information on family violence, guilt, shame, and blame, safety planning, healthy relationships and boundaries. Individuals are also offered one to one support during this process.
For more information about Outreach groups and services, call 403-527-8223 and ask to speak to the Outreach Program Manager.
Child & Youth Support: available for children and youth who have experienced and/or witnessed family violence. Support and education are offered to youth, children and their parent(s) through groups, one-to-one or family sessions.
Child Support groups include: (Child support group has been put on hold due to COVID-19)
- Children’s Support Group: This group runs weekly from September to June and is open to children ages 6 – 12 who have experienced family violence. Subject material is based on education about family violence, safety planning, boundaries and coping skills. The subjects are presented through child-oriented discussions, activities, games and crafts. This is an open group so children can being at any time in the year as long as there is space in the group.
- Growing Together: This group is offered to parents and children. Parents go to an adult group and the children go to a children’s group. Subject material is the same but presented appropriate to their age. During the last 15 minutes of the group, parent and child come together for an attachment.
- Youth Group: This group runs every other week from September to June and is open to youth 13 years and up who have experienced family violence. Subject material is based on education about family violence, safety planning, boundaries and coping skills. The subjects are presented through discussions, activities, games and crafts. This is an open group so youth can begin at any time in the year as long as there is space in the group.
For more information about these groups, and other Child & Youth programming, contact the Children’s Program Manager at 403-527-8223.