Children’s Allied Health offers skill-building, assessment, and treatment activities for the families of children who have or may develop emotional or behavioural problems, developmental delays, or disabilities.
Serves Southeastern Alberta, including Medicine Hat, Brooks, Bow Island, Bassano, & Oyen. This program is offered free of charge through Alberta Health Services.
Some of the services provided are:
- hearing – responding to sounds, noise, voices, words
- moving – sitting, crawling, walking, coordination
- using hands – playing with toys, using utensils
- taking care of self – dressing, toileting, doing chores, sleeping
- equipment needs – wheelchair, splints, orthotics, walking aides, adaptive aides
- physical symptoms – pain, muscle / joint tightness, breathing, head shape, sensitivity to noise or touch
- managing emotions – behavior, becoming overwhelmed
- communication – understanding directions, babbling, using words and sentences
- clear speech – being understood by others, stuttering, voice quality
- eating, feeding and swallowing – coughing, gagging, choking, refusing to eat certain foods
Helps children and their families with hearing and hearing health, so they can participate in activities that are important to them. Services provided are related to (neuro)developmental and / or medical conditions.
Occupational Therapy (OT):
Supports children and their families with self-care; eating, feeding and swallowing; and motor development, so that they can participate in activities that are important to them.
This service supports children and their families with development and movement, so they can participate in activities that are important to them. Services provided are related to (neuro)developmental and/or medical conditions:
Speech-Language Therapy (SLP):
Assessment and treatment of communication and feeding development issues.
Families may self-refer. For third-party referrals, parent/legal guardian must be aware of and give permission for referral. All referrals are made through the Medicine Hat location
Children’s Allied Health
Audiology & SLP
Children's Allied Health Brochure 2023_
621 KB, pdf
an Updated CAH-DBDC Referral
470 KB, pdf