Healthy Weight Management Tips
Here are some useful, practical tips.
- Eat 3 regular meals per day.
- Include breakfast daily.
- Drink 8 cups of water per day.
- Don't skip meals.
- Limit saturated and trans fats (eat fresh foods; not from a box).
- Avoid pop, juice, flavoured coffee drinks and sports drinks.
- Limit alcohol to a minimum of 1 - 2 drinks per day. If you don't drink already, don't start.
- Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Exercise regularly for 30 minutes per day.
- No TV while eating! (Paying attention to what you eat and enjoying your food will make you feel more full and satisfied, while eating less.)
- Use a smaller plate for meals. (A salad plate works well.)
- If still hungry after a meal, take seconds of vegetables.
- Have a glass of milk with your meals. You will feel more full, therefore eating less.
- Watch portion sizes at meals...
- Hockey-puck-sized starch (potato, rice, pasta)
- Deck of cards for meat
- Half the plate for vegetables
- Eat fish 1 - 2 times per week.
- Remove the salt shaker from the table.
- Wait 20 minutes from the start of your meal before taking second helpings. (It takes that long for our stomach to tell our brain we are feeling full.)
Patty Frandsen, RN.